Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Grapevine! Mambo! Left! Left! Right! Over!

We intrepid get-in-shapers went to a cardio class called "Shaping" last night. We were late (never a good start), and ended up stumbling into a packed room. We found our places, and marched on cue. Things got a little confusing (or scary, or funny, or frustrating, or irritating depending on the split second) when she started yelling all kinds of commands, half of which I couldn't even hear over the blaring music. The ones I did hear were things like "MAMBO" "LEFT LEFT LEFT RIGHT" "OVER" "WALK" (and "walk" is never just walking in cardio, that much I knew). I did my best to keep up and, being in the last row, I was trying to see what other people were doing. The class was so packed I couldn't really see the instructor... She really could've been reading a book on astrophysics, for all I know. I wouldn't have understood it any less.

I did get my tiny feeling of accomplishment when I could keep up for about 30sec every once in a while. The heel-to-ass-turn swirl always made me lose my bearings. Fortunately I wasn't the only one, about half of the class seemed a little lost.

Having survived the first class (nothing like plunging in off the deep end straight away for making you feel alive) I am quite confident that the weeks to come will be easier, and I will get the hang of it soon. Except for next week, when schools are on a break here, and since the cardio groups use school gyms, they take a break too... grumble.

But next week I will go back to hydrobics, see if the instructor has improved, and, oh yeah, spend the rest of the time packing and moving stuff. We found a very nice apartment right in the center, and now have two weeks to move.

That's all from the intrepid excerciser, always up for a new chance at accomplishment or complete humiliation. Fortunately tonight is excercise ball cardio, a class I've already been to once. Phew.

No comments: