Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bad Pickychick, Bad.

Last night I realized I'm a spoiled girl.
Why?
Well, I used to get so excited about travelling, that I'd have trouble sleeping for a week before the trip, and I'd also start packing at least a week in advance. I'd be taking stuff out and putting stuff in, pretty much obliterating any point there would've been to packing in advance, but I was just so excited I couldn't wait to go, and of course packing in advance will expediate the departure...

And now?
I left packing until last minute, trying to sort clothes out 30 min before heading out for the England game (and we leave today after I get off work).
Yes, we're going to Nottingham; yes, I get to explore the city we'll be living in for at least four years. Yet I haven't lost any sleep thinking about the trip, I haven't gone around town in a frenzy, buying travel-size bottles, jars and potions.

Apparently I'm taking it for granted.
I am bad.

But I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a list of mitigating factors ready:

1) As we will actually be moving there this isn't the culmination of the Nottingham experience

2) I'm waiting to hear on whether I get to continue working for my present company even though we're moving to England. I've been told there's a meeting about it TODAY. Of course I've been around enough to know that meetings of this nature are easily postponed and even if they're not, stuff rarely gets resolved effectively or quickly. But still.

So. We'll see how this develops.
Also, good news seems to coincide with travel for us. Last time I was going to England I found out about a year-long job the day before. On our way to Riga our house sold. When we were in Paris MrPicky got invited to an interview for the Fellowship he subsequently got. So there is precedence with things like this. Which doesn't make it any easier...

1 comment:

Cooks said...

you are just turning into a experienced traveller. I am the same though, I now even leave my packing to the day before, instead of the month before ;-) I do however always wake up waaay to early on the day we leave, excited about going to the airport again. Thank god I'm still a girl!!! When will you actually be moving? I'm gonna be in London in August for a weekend!! Good luck for now in Nottingham, hope all goes wel!