Friday, June 01, 2007

Continuing on the Random Trail

We finally got the key to the storage where I was told our bikes were taken back in March. Wasn't expecting to find them (when our bikes disappeared I put up a sign with my number asking people to contact me if they saw anything, and I got an anonymous call from somebody, who said they'd seen the bikes put in the storage), but wasn't really willing to buy a new bike until all other options had been exhausted. Well, it was quite a surprise to find the bikes there, safe and sound! I took my bike to work on Thursday, and will definitely take it to work, weather permitting. Although I just need to get it fixed first... something I meant to do the afternoon it disappeared. It seems I'm taking a bit of a gamble riding it at all, considering the chainwheel and the pedals feel like they might fall off at any given moment.

But it's great to have it back. I have to say that's been the best money I ever spent--I got the bike around 1993 in Greece, paid the equivalent of £100 for it and have used and abused it mercilessly ever since. This will be the first proper maintenance ever apart from changing the inner tires. I've never even had to get the gears or brakes tightened. When the bikes went missing I said this would be the only way I'd ever be able to bring myself to getting a new bike, and sure enough, I'm happier to have it back and pay to get it fixed rather than buy a brand spanking new one. Call me sentimental.

The food at the cafeteria at work sucks snowballs. It's kind of forced me on a fat-free yoghurt-fruit diet (as I'm too lazy to contemplate taking my own lunch) at work, and lo and behold, I've gone down almost two dress sizes. The fact I've walked home from work at least once or twice a week seems to be helping as well. These compounded with the fact that since there's more daylight, I seem to have lost all interest in sweets--even chocolate, bode quite well for my 'getting in shape' project that's been on a backburner since we came back from our travels. I do need to get my ass to the gym though, but keep putting it off. For the time being I seem to be doing well enough without it, but I realise I do have to get back in gear at some point.

I had my first official work progress meeting, and got nothing but really good feedback. It felt very good to hear I'm doing something right, as I've been quite unsure as to whether I'm doing what I'm supposed to or not (lots of procedures were completely ignored in our training, and we were left to figure stuff out on our own... which seems to be quite typical around work). Here's hoping the trend continues. Had a horrible day at work though, with insanely long calls and the bizarrest problems (not to mention the fact that getting people to do the simplest things was like pulling teeth). But this means I'm due a nice, easy day on Monday. I'll drink to that.

1 comment:

Cooks said...

yay on the bikes! Now they really do deserve to be spoilt!