Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Enter Pickychick

I never thought I'd start a blog. Or rather, I thought I'd never start a blog. Yet here I am, a stumbling novice to the world of blogging.

Why am I starting a blog?
I thought it would be fun to try something new. This is definitely something new. I'm still quite unsure as to how to go about things--whether I should keep all personal information private, including pictures, or whether I should post pics as well.
Hmm... I'm sure I'll figure it out one of these days.

Who am I?
Well, I think that for privacy reasons I shall just be known as Pickychick on this blog (you may also call me paranoid..).
I live Up North with MrPicky and Mr & MsCat in a city known from here on as The City. My dad lives in the Capital City down south with creaky StepMonster. Well, she's not a monster but she creaks. When she talks, I mean. I do have other relatives, but the treatment I got and the lack of support when my mother passed away froze my already cooling feelings towards them. Permafrost, anyone?
MrPicky is originally from Four Countries Over, and we have been living Up North for 3 years. Next year we are moving back to where we met, Rainy Country.

What's going on with me?
Well, my latest year-long job just ended, and I'm into my 3rd day of official unemployment. It's a strange feeling, as I've always been either a student or employed. In a way it's exciting, but of course finding a jobby job wouldn't hurt. Also becoming a statistic as a recently graduated person with an MA who's now unemployed is kind of strange.

For now I'm happy to have time to work out AND have a bit of money trickling in. Why do I have to have so much time to work out? Well, you see I lost shitloads of weight a couple of winters back. It was all thanks to still being a student, having to walk to classes and then having a very physical job on the side. Last August I got to my all-time thinnest, and I weighed 67kg. I would say it's been downhill from there, but does the image of going down a hill really suit gaining weight? I think not. Anyway, I got a new job last August, which in addition to being a 50min commute away was very ambitious and required overtime and created quite a bit of stress. I tried to excercise (and for the most part did manage to excercise 5-6 days a week) and stick to a healthy diet (which with less excercise was still too much but I was too exhausted to be able to fix it).

Result?
A year later I have gone up to 74kg (as of yesterday). 7kg in a year, without throwing myself on the lazy-fastfoodmunching wagon. Holy shit. I'm hesitant to venture a guess as to what would've happened had I thrown excercising to the wind and spent the year on the couch indulging in munchies.

This brings us to today.

As I am now fully unemployed, I have time to excercise full-time. Which I am going to do. MrPicky (as I shall lovingly refer to my significant other) started a 3-week course a couple of countries over yesterday, so I will have 3 weeks (almost) to myself to kickstart my new regime. The aim will be to get down to 62kg (not in 3 weeks, though).
The method will be rigorous excercising without crossing over to obsession-land, and eating healthy (again, without going overboard).

How will this work out? We shall see.

No comments: